Sunday, September 27, 2009

Eleni's Philoxenia

I wanted to eat a second time at Eleni's before I wrote my review of this hidden gem, but was ready to write about it after the first visit. A co-worker told me about Eleni's; this is he and his wife's favorite little place for a romantic dinner. It is such an easy place to miss on the street -- tucked away on NW 9th next to the Pearl Bakery -- it is a skinny, dark storefront with a long interior complete with a full bar. Choose from booths or tables (I personally like the tables for light and being more a part of the action). Don't worry about the "its all Greek to me" factor, all the menu items are well-described down to the individual spices. And the spices are part of what makes the food here so interesting. The prices are very reasonable and menu quite varied. I wanted to have at least one of the same dishes as our previous visit -- the pasta with tomatoes, nutmeg, cinnamon and Cascade Natural beef, called Makaronia Me Kima -- fantastic and highly recommended. Order the grilled calamari; you can get the fried stuff anywhere so try the grilled, it is excellent. The Kritikia Salad recommended by our server was very tasty with currants and a honey-balsamic vinegarette (which I've since made at home). A not-to-be-missed shrimp dish - Giardes me Skordo with sherry and cayenne - you will want to lick the plate! Finish it all off with the walnut, pistachio, hazelnut baklava drizzled with a spiced orange-infused honey! The wine list includes many local and Greek wines. I found a fantastic Greek Sauvignon Blanc blend to go with my creatures from the sea! Enjoy.

http://www.elenisrestaurant.com/

1 comment:

  1. February 2010 update: Portland Monthy puts out various Eleni's coupons fairly regularly. Last week we enjoyed a free, delicious, gooey, orangey Baklava for dessert! DO try the fried cheese appetizer - Mama!

    ReplyDelete